Just for Kids
Your public library is the place to be if you’re a young person in town. We have lots of fun stuff to do and can even get you help with your homework. Here are some of the great programs we have to offer:
Norwood Preschool Story Time
Every Friday morning, staff share their love of books and reinforce early literacy skills through stories, songs, and fingerplays in a small group setting. Our Preschool Story Time provides wonderful opportunities for children to learn to enjoy books and group activities.
- All story times are free, open to the public, and no registration is required.
- Story times start at 10:00am.
- Please let us know if home daycare groups would like to attend by calling (705) 639-2228.
We are proud to offer a variety of activities for kids at our Westwood Branch of the Asphodel-Norwood Public Library
Westwood holds Saturday morning crafts at 10am, Monday Crafternoons at 4pm, and a special Family Drop-in with story and craft on Thursday at from 10am-12pm.
Please drop by to pick up a bookmark of Events or download a Calendar from our front page to find out what’s happening at the library!
Why not bring your class to visit their local library?
A visit could contain some of the following:
- Introduce the children to the library service, explain how to use it, show the range of material available and read a selection of stories, poems and rhymes.
- Arrange a practical session on finding information, using a wide range of books, databases and online resources.
- Demonstrate the use of computers in the community, by finding out how the library computer works from issuing books to providing information.
- Promote a range of fiction stories on a theme of your choice, for your particular age group e.g. Fantasy, Historical, etc.
Please contact a librarian to set up your class visit or to obtain more information. Librarians can be reached in the Norwood Library at (705) 639-2228.
We look forward to seeing you and your class!
After School Homework Help
We are currently looking for volunteer tutors to create an After School Homework Club. Please contact the library if you are interested in donating an hour of your time to help a student.
If you are in the tutoring business, remember that Asphodel-Norwood Public Library has resources to assist you, including a quiet room for study and free WiFi.
Online Homework Help
- Fact Monster is an online homework helper that has practice quizzes and in all subjects. You can also find study tips and educational games.
- Kids Encyclopedia Brittanica is a virtual encyclopedia offering information on just about any subject! There are also tips for writing reports, papers, and preparing for presentations.
- Homework Helper is a Canadian site that teaches kids about a wide range of topics and has the option of submitting your own questions.
- TFO French Games can help children practice French words through fun and easy games.
- Kids InfoBits is the perfect educational product for today’s young learners. It’s a content-rich, authoritative, easy-to-use resource featuring age-appropriate, reliable, curriculum-related content covering a broad range of educational topics.
Here are some safe and fun games for kids to play online!
- NickJR Kids can play games with Dora, Peppa, the gang form Yo Gabba Gabba, and more!
- CBC Kids has activities such as interactive stories, matching games, art studio.
- Discovery Kids has games based on the TV channel, Discovery. Kids can design a cool cake, build a roller coaster, and test their weather knowledge.
- Games For Boys has a misleading name, since ALL children will enjoy the games available here.
- Mattel has fun games with well known toys such as Barbie and Hot Wheels.
- TVO Kids offers kids ages 2-11 a wide range of interactive and educational games.
Where do you go to grow? Try your public library. A visit will get you thinking!